One of my goals for this site is to keep better records of the beer I brew. When I started brewing, my partner and I kept a journal with notes on each batch we made. At some point, I switched to keeping records on my computer, via a software package that calculated estimated gravity, color, etc. But when I purchased a new computer about two years ago, I didn’t bother reinstalling the software, and since then I have no good records of the exact recipes I’ve made, or how close I came to hitting target gravity, etc.
Mostly this hasn’t been an issue; We’ve had no trouble making beer in a variety of styles that people enjoy drinking. But now I’m looking to expand my range of styles; to hit my figures with a little more accuracy; and now that I’ve got this blog, to share these recipes with you.
So with that in mind, here’s the most recent beer to hit the fermenter. It’s my first effort at a Scotch Wee Heavy. I put the recipe together with my usual approach for a style I don’t know well: I found a random recipe online, and modified it moderately after reading the relevant chapter in Designing Great Beers.